Made | Striped Shift Dress

DSC_6230.jpg

Hey all, I've made a shift dress! I started with the Colette Laurel and made a million adjustments before finally giving it a go. This is actually my third Laurel, and my second in this particular fabric. The first time I tried it in a knit, I didn't size down (I actually didn't even know HOW to take my measurements when I first made this, so I cut a size eight when I really needed a size four). So this time I cut a size four, removed the bust dart, made the elbow length sleeves into cap sleeves, shortened the hem more on the front and less on the back (maybe I'm turning into a high-low hem person) and dropped the back neckline by 7 inches. I didn't follow my gut instinct and tighten up the back shoulder seams, so the shoulders kept falling down. I just inserted a strap onto the dress to keep it in place; I'm calling it a design feature, so don't judge me. 

I used some ponte from Girl Charlee, but unfortunately I can't seem to find the fabric on their website right now. I really love this dress, which is surprising because honestly, I didn't really like the Laurel pattern too much. I bought it because for the longest time I wasn't finding good shift dress patterns. I found a free one shortly after I bought this too. Live and learn. 

DSC_6248.jpg
DSC_6249.jpg

I'm not entirely sure why I'm clapping here but I kind of like the photo so here you go. I'm a sucker for beautiful lighting and peachy skin tones, even if I look ridiculous. 

In case you're wondering at all, it was like 90+ degrees out with a million% humidity, so it was pretty miserable taking these. So for your viewing pleasure I've added in a photo of me looking ridiculous due to the heat. 

DSC_6260.jpg
DSC_6262.jpg